Back in March of 2018 top WBC contender Louis “King Kong” Ortiz considered “the most dangerous non-champion” in the heavyweight division finally got a shot at Deontay “The Bronze Bomber” Wilder’s WBC World title.
Wilder, now 41-0-1 (40), from Tuscaloosa, AL, is giving Ortiz a rematch Saturday at the MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV. Ortiz, 31-1 (2), a Cuban southpaw out of Miami, FL, in their first meeting was dropped in the fifth round. After 9 rounds all scores were 85-84 in Wilder’s favor due to the knockdown.
In the tenth round Wilder dropped Ortiz two more times before referee David Fields called a halt at 2:03 of the round in favor of champion Wilder. Wilder has had two more defenses since then with a controversial draw with UK’s Tyson “Gypsy” King Fury in which Fury was an obvious winner.
Ortiz has posted three wins since their first meeting with two by knockout. At 40 this could be the last opportunity for Ortiz at a world title. For Wilder it’s one more fight closer to a rematch with Fury in the near future. At 6:07 Wilder has a three inch height advantage. Ortiz seemed to be tiring by the fifth round which is due to his age and missing with his punching power. Wilder has only gone beyond five rounds over four occasions with the Fury fight going the full twelve rounds.
This event is on PPV starting at 9pm est. “I’m the best in the world and I say it with confidence. The heavyweight division was in a dark place but now it’s on fire and I have to keep it going.
Louis Ortiz is one of the best in the world and one of the most dangerous men in boxing. No one in the top ten has given him an opportunity. They say he’s old but if that’s the truth, then one of them should go in there after him,” said Wilder.
“I don’t like to lose and there were legitimate circumstances why I wasn’t at my best in our first fight. It was a fatigue stoppage, I believe if I had continued, I would have gotten the knockout but I have corrected that this time. So the better man will win,” said Ortiz.